Thursday, February 19, 2009

Soul Soup for a Chicken

That is what I felt like last week ..all cooped up in my room with a nasty cold. My words sounding like 'cluck cluck' or even less coherent. Since I had been trying to rid my pantry of all processed foods , there was nothing I had that could be shoved in the microwave for a hot dinner so I decided to experiment with soup cooked from scratch. Not only did it turn out to be the best soup I have ever made .... this chicken could pretty much fly after the last drop hit the back of my sore throat.

Soul Soup:
What you need:

About half a pound of frozen or fresh chicken with bones (wings , legs, thighs ..the works).
Three chopped carrots , six chopped stalks of celery , one large diced onions , four cloves of garlic, six sprigs of thyme, soy sauce , chili sauce , patience.

How to make it:

In a large pot with six cups of water add the chicken with three pinches of salt and pepper and bring to a boil on high heat.
Once the water has been boiling for about a minute, add the celery, carrots , onions , garlic , thyme and reduce the heat to medium ..cook a further 20 minutes.
Extract the chicken and discard the thyme. Pull chicken from bone with a fork or fingers and reintroduce the bare bones to the pot...cook a further 20 minutes.
Extract the bones for the last time and blend the contents of the pot in batches to a smooth consistency.
In the last batch add about a fifth of the pulled chicken , a pinch of salt and pepper and blend away.
Introduce all blended batches with rest of the pulled chicken back to the pot and add a couple dashes of soy sauce and red chili sauce ( adding a little extra soul to the soup) and adjust the seasoning.

Serve hot and top it up with shredded parmesan and spring onions.
p.s: I didn't actually fly , but I did feel rejuvenated enough to walk across the street to the pharmacy to buy cough syrup.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You inspire me, Mr. Kerkar.

The Twisted Gourmet said...

Thankyou, woodsmoke. Hope you are having extreme fun in seattle.

Unknown said...

This looks awsome! I haven't visited your blog in forever. You need to seriously add your drink recipes on here! How about some veg friendly options? I need a good tofu recipe. Let me know if you come across anything.

Reeta Skeeter said...

:-)

Nothing like fresh soup... NOTHING!

Hope you better now...it is over two months that Skeets is responding to this post :-)

chaipau said...

Reading ur blog fter long time...

Ur soup sounds yumm....
the batching, and the special treatment for the last batch... thats sooo u dopehead!

Njai cooking! me have been back to cooking after a long while and showing good results.... :)