Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Pizza Amore


Yesterday I found myself cleaning up the leftovers of my fridge. With no fresh meat or veggies other than tomatoes I couldn't cook any 'sabzi' to go with the store brought frozen tandoori roti lying in my freezer , so I decided to try something outside the box and use the roti as a base for a homemade pizza! Luckily I found some shredded Italian cheese and leftover uncooked 'Alderwood smoked' bacon so all I really needed to prepare was pizza sauce.

Pizza sauce :
Blanch two medium sized tomatoes in boiling water for about 10 minutes (I used roma tomatoes). The skin will detach itself from the pulp and can be removed. In a bowl add half a cup of warm water to the tomato pulp and crush the pulp roughly with a spoon. Then add salt to taste , pinch of black pepper,two cloves of minced garlic, a pinch or two of sugar , a handful of the Italian cheese and about a tablespoon of the MOB ( marjoram, oregano and basil) . Those three dried spices as I found out are the holy trinity of pizza sauce. Mix everything together and let it sit for about 30 minutes for the tomatoes to soak up the dried spices.

Finally take two tandoori rotis as the base , laddle half the mixture on each base. Top it generously with rest of the shredded cheese and finally the meat of your choice. Since I was using bacon , I pan fried the bacon fried till it was 90% cooked , then cut in half inch pieces for the topping. Bake the pizza on a low rack on 450F for 10 minutes and you are ready for an ultimate treat.

The tandoori roti being whole wheat gave this pizza a healthy dimension and most importantly it cleared my fridge .

ciao.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful way to clean the fridge. And the "ciao" at the end is a wonderful touch. Befitting of a connoisseur for sure.

Reeta Skeeter said...

The holy trinity of pizza sauce..yumm...
khi khi@ it cleared ur fridge :P
Me no meat-eater...but sounds lovely this... :)
Cheers!

R said...

Damn, it's 3 am and I am hungry. Guess it wasn't the best time to check your page. I second Woodsmoke.

Farzana Anjum said...

Ah...huh..with basil, oregano, tomatoes and desi style pizza crust..what more can you ask for a meal....gud one :)